Tiny House Building Workshops
We deliver tiny house workshops in:
Informative, clear and fun: Tiny House Workshops for DIY Builders
Buy a package of all 4 workshops and attend the whole weekend with a discount of $32. Or attend any one of these 4 workshops:
How to Build a Tiny House:
In this 3 hour workshop you will learn essential building information specific to mobile tiny house construction and Fred’s proven construction methods:
- Learn the risks with tiny house builds, including material selection, weight, transport & insurance.
- Understand what you need to get right when planning and building your tiny house.
- Learn building terminology that will help you talk with confidence at your local timber yard.
- Understand building methods suitable for tiny houses – making it strong & light weight.
- Learn pros & cons of wood v.s. steel construction v.s. SIP’s in a tiny house context.
- Learn how to make your tiny house safe & sound to travel
- Learn how to adapt standard construction techniques in cyclonic conditions for a mobile, vibration prone structure.
- How to design a tiny house to keep cool in our Australian summer.
- Learn pros & cons of common tiny house design features such as: wheel guard v.s. over the wheel “flat top” design considerations; roof style options & pitch for on & off-grid; ladders v.s. stairs v.s. all on 1 level living; optimal bathrooms & kitchens layouts; bed placement; skylights; french doors; and practical tips for living with kids in a tiny house from a father who knows.
- Learn Fred’s now patented Unified Tiny House Construction Method™ that produces the strongest & lightest weight attachment between tiny house and trailer possible anywhere.
- Learn everything you need to know about how to make your tiny house roadworthy, lightweight, well insulated, off-grid and totally DIY-able by you!
All Things Trailers:
Learn everything you need to know about trailers for tiny houses here in this half-day (3 hour) workshop.
- Understand attachment points between your tiny house and your trailer.
- Learn how to avoid the 6 main risks when building or buying a new or used trailer for a tiny house.
- Understand your trailer’s compliance plate.
- Learn how to “Speak Trailer” so you won’t be taken for a ride.
- Learn what makes a trailer roadworthy, compliant, and insurable.
- Understand the most important things to look for when buying a trailer for a tiny house.
Learn from an expert, avoid common errors and start your tiny house on a great foundation!
Taking It Off-Grid:
In this half-day (3 hour) workshop:
- Learn how battery storage & solar panels work in a tiny house.
- Understand how a modern composting toilet works.
- Tips & tricks for insulating for summer. Learn Fred’s proven method to keep your loft bed ceiling cool in summer; including how to create a radiant barrier in your tiny house.
- Understand how to design a hot water system for a tiny house which is environmentally friendly and uses only renewable resources and no fossil fuels.
It can be done! And you can do it!
Learn from an expert, who has built an off-grid tiny house that works.
Where To Put a Tiny House – Council Regulations in Your Local Area:
The most often asked question by prospective tiny house builders/owners, is “Where can I put a tiny house?” And because the answers are a bit complicated, we take a detailed look at various local laws that can affect tiny house living.
In this 3 hour workshop offered by Fred Schultz (Fred’s Tiny Houses) participants will:
- Gain some historical understanding of the tiny house movement and key relevant information regarding where to put a tiny house in New South Wales, South Australia, Tasmania and Victoria.
- Introduction to relevant local laws & planning regulations.
- Real life case studies of where tiny house people are living.
- Regulations concerning Tiny House on Wheels (THOW’s).
- Regulations regarding a tiny house on a foundation.
- Who is regulating THOW’s and tiny houses on foundations.
- The case for and against regulation.